ABOUT TRIPS FOR KIDS MARIN
Trips for Kids Marin’s (TFKM) mission is to provide transformative cycling experiences for underserved youth. Our programs aim to build self-esteem, inspire healthy lifestyles and instill environmental values through mountain bike rides, mechanical skills training and outdoor education. Since 1988 we have provided lessons in self-confidence, environmental awareness and healthy habits to tens of thousands of youth through the simple act of having fun on bicycles.
Our San Rafael non-profit serves underserved youth throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, working with local agencies and organizations. Our youth programs include Trail Rides, Earn-a-Bike and Mobile Bike workshops, and our Re-Cyclery Bike Shop sells low cost refurbished bicycles and donated parts, tools, accessories and clothing.
Our 22-person Bay Area team is passionate about biking and youth, is a close knit group of environmentally like-minded people, and maintains high standards of program implementation and Re-Cyclery bike refurbishing and customer service. If you are looking for a positive, high-energy, professional and fun place to work – this job might be for you!
The Communications Manager is a critical position on the TFKM staff, with the overall responsibility for maintaining TFKM’s branding in all its facets with creativity and passion and growing public engagement with the organization’s wide scope of work. Key aspects include creating informative, inspiring and engaging messaging to strengthen our brand in all Bay Area communities, and gaining the increased goodwill and support of multiple audiences. A primary role of this position is to know and use the latest media tools for our marketing benefit, to maximize production efficiency of all communications.
This position is responsible for generating and formatting all content. Equally important is measuring and tracking the success of all the organization’s communication methods (print, digital, website, etc.). The Communications Manager enforces the TFKM style guidelines to maintain a consistent branding look and feel on all of our outreach. This role works closely with the Development Coordinator to implement various fundraising campaigns all year long.
The role requires someone with strong graphic design and layout skills, marketing experience, a love of digital/social media communications, website management, great writing skills, familiarity with current online graphic and video techniques, and bountiful creativity and innovation. Experience managing staff and volunteers for content generation is crucial as well.
- Serve as the main online voice and communicator of TFKM by directing and managing the organization’s outreach and communications across all media platforms to all audiences: the public at large, business and agency partners, donors, volunteers, media, etc.
- Create and/or edit text and visual content for all communication channels, implement and follow all messages and campaigns through each point in their lifecycles.
- Determine the target audience, message content and frequency of outreach for all communications.
- Track, measure, analyze and report all communications success.
- Manage outreach through an annual communications calendar:
- Blog posts and social media
- eblasts creation and distribution
- e-newsletter creation and distribution
- website updates, structural and functional revisions, and content layout/formatting
- Annual Report creation and digital distribution
- all print collateral and online communications for events and programs
- Respond to and engage incoming requests, queries, and feedback in a timely and professional manner; involve relevant staff to craft appropriate responses and solutions.
- Partner and collaborate closely with program staff to align communications strategy with program activities, and outreach and fundraising goals.
- Educate and empower staff to improve their communication methodologies when applicable.
- 3-4 years experience with marketing, media communications, and website and database management.
- Strategic, creative, analytical thinker with proven history of taking projects from start to finish.
- Expert ability in writing, editing and providing guidance for a range of media materials.
- Well-versed and passionate about cutting-edge social media; experience developing plans involving the integration and measurement of multiple platforms.
- Well organized and efficient multi-tasker who can manage multiple assignments at once and occasional changes in priorities.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Experience with these communication tools:
- WordPress (content publishing/managing/scheduling/editing)
- Email Service Providers (preferably, iContact and Constant Contact)
- Database management (preferably, Salesforce)
- Buffer, Planoly or other social network oversight tools
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Spark)
- Print collateral
- Social media
- Promotional items
Icing on the cake:
- Video editing
- Audio editing
The Communications Manager is a part time position with competitive benefits package, located in TFKM’s San Rafael office. Compensation depending on experience; $20-28 per hour.
Provide resume, cover letter that explains your relevant skill set, and written and graphic communication samples to:
Kim Baenisch, Executive Director
No phone calls will be accepted.